Wednesday, October 07, 2009

For home.

I've been feeling nostalgic, lately.

I love the cities where I live.
when I grew up, I live on an island
and I loved it.
In the summer everyone in town
would be on the boardwalk, the beach
eating shaved ice and fries.
My family and I would bring a bucket of
cold chicken and ice cream - sit on the sand
watching the sun drop
into the pacific
to light up the cities of
mermaids underneath.

But while I was growing up, all the other kids would complain
because:
we wouldn't get enough snow
we didn't have anywhere cool
we had nothing to do after 6pm
because everything was closed.

Now I am grown up (I think)
and i live on the mainland
all on my own, while my
family still happily eats ice cream
on the beach - they can even see the lights of my current city,
or so they say.
Anyway now I live in the big city,
and I still listen to people complain
because
it rains too much
there are too many poor people
there is no place to go after 3 am

I don't understand those kids from my hometown
because
one year it snowed 3 ft. and that was enough for me
(also, the city had one snowplow. Any more snow would be chaos.)
after 6pm I didn't need to be anywhere but home, with my family
and I could think of nothing better than
my father, my mother, my brother, my sister
on the beach, with a bucket of cold chicken
watching the light fade into
finer points of stars
and the glittering of the mainland, where
I will end up
in the rain
watching the island
disappear after 6 pm.



1 comments :

  1. Ashley said...

    Haha. This one made me laugh. I totally get looking from two sides of one ocean. I used to stare across the Pacific to the U.S. and wonder when I'd come back, now I stare from LA to NZ and wonder when I'll be a kid again.
    I purely enjoyed this!