Sunday, August 09, 2009

on music and my desire to be deaf.

The only explanation for this is that it is both how I feel, and how I wish I would feel.
It's also too heavy on metaphor, but honest.

your heartbeat and mine
are keeping time to a perfect rhythm
that has yet, to ears, been heard.
But now the song has slowed
and my blood's metranome knows
that I can not keep this beat alone,
but it seems as though your thrumming pulse
has stilled.

fr
anti
cally, I change
the song
afraid, that
you were
growing
tired of sing
ing a
long
but I not
ice
I am
the only one
making
sound

AGAIN I attempt a melody of my own:
but AGAIN it descends
into sounds with no
tenor, time or
tone.


it is only when i am silent, do i hear again
the steady pulse:
your heartbreakingly beautiful,
silent and steady song,
and I see:
my complicated harmonies and
stac
cat
o beats
are what really kept me from singing along.

Again, I quiet myself,
i swallow my empty, prideful vocal tone
and surrender my heartbeat
to be a part of your song.

1 comments :

  1. Ashley said...

    I love this post.
    My fav part are the
    stac
    cat
    o beats
    .
    I got your number on that one my friend.
    I love this piece!
    I can just picture you singing to a wrong tune when I read it - shows how zealous you are though, eh? I do it too ALL the time!
    and it sucks.