Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Shadows hide me from the light that calls my name

In stained - glass windows, I often heard the song's reprise.
Reality resounding somewhere in the brokenness and despair
beyond the veiled crowds and the peacekeeping sounds.

My roots force their way
through the pavement
And the saints lay on their backs,
screaming to the endless sky
"where are you"

And the searchlights in the tall darkness
shine in their reply.

- caitlyn spence.

A few weeks ago, some of my sessionmates and I were discussing our 4 favourite biblical scenes. Mine were as follows:
Elijah and prophets of Baal on Mt. Carmel. (1kings18)
The Circumcision at Gilgal (josh5)
Jesus sitting alone at the Jordan (john10)
Nehemiah exhorting the Israelites and the early construction of Jerusalem's wall. (nehemiah 4)

It was pointed out that all of my favorite scenes have to do with repentance and holiness, and I think it;s true that these are some of the most important and recurring themes in my life. Actually, I think they are the most important things in life in general.
Repentance; the turning of hearts. Without repentance, there is only death. There is only hearts set on seeking what is seen, what passes away. It is the rolling away of reproach from our former ways. If we do not cut our old ways from ourselves, how will we then go on to live as new creations, unbound by our broken chains.
If we are consecrated to Him, He will do amazing things among us.

0 comments :