Monday, July 30, 2007

The end will justify the pain it took to get us there

So I recently saw the film Hairspray. For anyone who doesn't know my movie taste, I typically dislike anything made after the year 1961. But Hairspray really took me by surprise, and though I've never seen it's original, I really enjoyed it. It is based in 1964 and pretty much depicts the transition between 1950s moral code and 1960s free love. There's a particular scene in which a black inhabitants of Baltimore go on a march in response to the recent news that there will no longer be black actors on local tv. There's a song during that part that I think reminded me of why I believe what I do.

There's a road we must travel
There's a promise we must make
'Cause the riches will be plenty
Worth the risk and chances that we take
There's a dream in the future
There's a struggle we have yet to win
'Cause just to sit still would be a sin

I think that's a pretty good summation of the point of Christianity.
I think I'm getting reminded of a lot lately.
And I think that I should be reading my Bible a lot more often. I haven't done it very much since the beginning of Summer and that's dumb.

0 comments :